Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Politics as Usual

In honor of all the voting I didn't take part in today (yes, I know, I'm a bad American), here's a run down on the current Italian political situation, as told by my host brother, Giacomo:
1) Prime Minister Berlusconi was recently caught hanging with prostitutes, one of them underage.
2) My host brother Tommaso wants to be Berlusconi.
3) When Berlusconi was asked about being found in said compromising situation, he basically told the press: "Sure I like to have fun. I love life. They're just prostitutes; at least I'm not gay."
4) Predictably, the Italian leader of the democratic party, who just so happens to be gay, took offense to this. His response to Berlusconi? "You may be beautiful, Berlusconi, but at least I'm intelligent."
5) My political insight of the day: they're like four-year-olds!
6) A recent article in a respected news magazine rated countries on their level of corruption, with one being the least corrupted. Italy came in third from last. This might be related to the fact that Berlusconi owns three of the seven national television stations and one newspaper.
And finally, number 7) My host brother asked me about Marco Rubio today over dinner. How, and why, does he even know who Marco Rubio is? All I could tell him was that Marco looked rather handsome in his television adds.

No comments:

Post a Comment